Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Long Sleeve Simplicity 7330 Shirt

I decided to get over my depression of missing out on that vintage Singer machine by making a shirt with my vintage Kenmore.  
The Simplicity 7330 shirt with a collar stand and long sleeves seems like the perfect project.  I have used this pattern twice already, but with the notched collar and short sleeves.
I am making it with a navy blue bed sheet.  Should be an interesting project.  I have it all cut out and the interfacing fused to the collar and cuffs.  Time to get the Kenmore threaded and ready to sew.

Navy Blue Material
Kenmor 158.352

Pattern
Thanks for stopping.

3 comments:

  1. I can't think of a better way to get over a loss than sewing up something for one's self.

    And don't fret too much over missing out on the 237. Although it may not have the three needle positions, your vintage Kenmore is a better machine. It runs smoother and quieter and it doesn't have the plastic race cover that tends to break on the 237.

    The 237, while still a great machine when compared to today's plastic machines, was towards the end of Singer's reign as a maker of fine quality machines. By the time the 237 came out, Singer was gasping for breath, trying to stay alive, and looked for ways to make their machines less costly..... outsourcing, cheaper materials/methods/designs. The 237 is what I consider a cross-over.... has some of the benefits of the older quality machines, and some of the disadvantages of what was to come with the newer machines.

    Your vintage Kenmore, however, is older and still retains a lot of the benefits of the older quality machines. The important mechanical parts are all of a quality steel. Just be gentle with the few plastic dials/knobs (keep the innards clean and lubricated).

    Enjoy it!

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the support. I decided to "play" with my Singer 99-13 yesterday. What a machine! Smooth, quiet, and a nice stitch. Only two knobs on the machine, one for tension and one for stitch length. No reverse, no nothing. I am going to use it for my next project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just checked the serial number, it was built in 1937.

    ReplyDelete