Sunday, April 28, 2013

Singer 327

I don't let every orphan follow me home from the thrift shop, but this Singer 327 caught my eye.  I bought it and took it home even though I knew nothing about it.

I checked out some reviews I found, they blow hot and cold.  This was an inexpensive zig-zag machine with an internal motor and belt made in Great Britain from 1963 to 1965.  I decoded the serial number to find mine was built in 1965.

Talk about saving money.  No special feet.  No attachments. Also, the bobbin winder is manual.  A person pushes the bobbin against the hand wheel and must stop it when full.  There is not a spring mechanism to disengage the bobbin when full.  According to some reviews, in order to lower the price, the earlier ones didn't even have a light switch.  The light came on when it was plugged in.  Mine has the light switch.

I don't think mine was used much at all, the needle looked like it could be original.  It has a drop in class 66 bobbin.  Since the original came with plastic bobbins that is what I am using.

One of the most quoted reviews in The Vintage Singers Yahoo Group is "This machine is loud and clunky".  I think it is quiet and sews wonderfully.  So I don't share that reviewers thoughts.   For $9.50, I don't think someone wanting a basic sewing machine could go wrong.

I think I have S.M.A.D.(Sewing Machine Addiction Disorder)  I borrowed this from Life with Lou. This is an interesting Blog about finding and fixing sewing machines.  I say I have S.M.A.D. because I love to sew and love to sew on different machines. In fact, I bought another machine I will blog about shortly.  All I will say is it is a model of machine I learned about from reading The Bobbin Doctor.

I am not totally gone though.  I like straight-stitch and simple zig-zag machines.  Complicated machines aren't my favorite.  When I was in sewing class many years ago the teacher said all you need is straight, zig-zag, and reverse.  I think this holds true, because when I was looking for my first sewing machine about two years ago, I was told the same thing  at a sewing machine store.




Singer 327 in Case


Singer 327 ready to sew



Too see a video of this machine on youtube, click here


Thanks for stopping.

16 comments:

  1. Have never seen that model before. I love the color. Though I am on vintage and modern machine overload, I would need an intervention to pass that one by.It is really fun to sew on different machines. Lots of sewing people have S.M.A.D. I am starting to believe. Until they start wagging them home they may not even know how easily it takes over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds great -- so smooth. I love the color too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your 327 is in great shape!
    I have a 328k. It's the same style machine, but the 328k is a warm gray color & takes pattern cams for decorative stitches. I really like it. There's a metal top gear that will need grease. You'll see it when you take the top off. I think you'll enjoy sewing with this machine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blog is really good.. you having nice content.. its very helpful to all. thanks for sharing this..

    Semi-Automatic Coil Winding Machine
    Armature Winding Machine

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have that machine bought new when I was "just a girl". I don't.find it any noisier than most other vintage machines. It does a nice job and has never had an issue (no relation to Peter)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it is great you have this machine and you bought it new.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have this machine and love it. It will sew through 8 layers of canvas without a complaint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an old thread 😁 but you are right it does sew canvas well,I made groundsheets and camping tarpaulins with mine, all metal cogs so will last many years.

      Delete
  8. I bought the 327k for £10 from a local car boot sale. I adore it, the sound is glorious. It came with loads of original pieces in the little singer box. I'm still new to sewing/dressmaking but this machine acts like my Big Sister, helping me all she can. I can't wait to read more of your blog xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just bought one at a garagesail for 20€, love to use it repairing my sails as it is a 75W motor

    David

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just got a singer 327k, the model that came in the desk. I am having one issue with it and that is the top thread keeps snapping. Despite top thread tensioner being adjusted. Then eventually it will jam, and there will a bit of broken thread between the bobbin case and the little wheel. Just curious if anyone knows anything about this issue or where I might go for info

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure what your problem could be, but I have a suggestion. Sew a few stitches with the top and bottom threads a different colour, and see if you need to adjust the top or bottom tension. I've had issues with top thread breaking due to the bobbin being too tight.

      For what it's worth, I have a machine that had tons of top thread issues. It'd pull irregularly and jam up. I went bananas and took apart the tension knob. I discovered the spring was in backwards. It may be worth exploring the tension knob, even to just give it a nice brushing out.

      Hope you solve it <3

      Delete
  11. I have this machine 327 in a lovely green going to fire it up tomorrow ...it was my mothers she bought in 1950 something never used it

    ReplyDelete
  12. I’ve had mine since 1979 (it already looked old back then) and still use it. 😀

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have inherited my Mom's 327 (the first machine I ever used), and was a little confused by the 1960's manufacture dates - I have Mom's canceled check for $29.50, made out to Singer Sewing Machine Co. on 3/13/57, for a "Used electric machine". of $29.50. I hadn't thought that she ever owned any machine other than her 327 - evidently I'm wrong! Wonder what her first machine was...It's a mystery that, sadly, will have to remain unsolved. But my Stylist 543 just encountered a broken gear, its fate is uncertain, so Mom's 327 has come to my rescue. ;)

    ReplyDelete