Friday, October 24, 2014

Back to the Seventies

I decided to make another shirt from the seventies since I like the last one I made so much.  This Simplicity 6249 from 1974 is a unisex pull-over top. I am using a lightweight broadcloth material I had in my stash.
Simplicty 6249

I decided to try on the pattern to check for size and length.  I ended up only adding an inch in length.

Original Length

One Inch Added
 I am sewing this with my Singer 626.  I picked it up at the thrift store for a few dollars. This model does have neoprene gears.  Some have metal.  I am certain the gears were replaced because they are opaque.  Not black like the few gear bits I found in the bottom of the case. Also, I don't think it was used much at all after the gears were changed, because they and the whole machine look like new.  So it should last a long time.

This machine has just a few decorative stitches, and does not use cams.  The wind-in-place bobbin works great.  Some machines with this feature have problems, but on this machine it works easy.

You have to love the color!
Singer 626 Touch and Sew
 Back to the shirt.

I was confused when sewing the pocket, because the instructions did not state it was a faux-flap.  I kept trying to figure out where the flap was at in the picture.  Finally, I figured it out.  All I have to do now is sew a button on it to finish.
Faux-Flap Pocket
Since the decorative stitching looked great on my previous shirt, I decided to put my Singer 626 to work.  As seen on the pocket and collar.
Decorative Stitching on Collar

Progress!
 

Next Comes Sleeves.

Thanks for stopping.

No comments:

Post a Comment