I decided to make Simplicity 1286 with some twill material I bought from Fabric.com. Also, I decided to move straight on to the final product without making a muslin. I did this because none of the reviews online mentioned sizing issues. I did add four inches to the length. This is normal for me.
I have been almost following the directions. I finished the pockets with french seams, used flat-fell seams on the inside leg, and finished the fly to my liking.
I tried them on without the waistband to see if the size needed tweaking. They fit, but more like a skinny-pant than a relaxed fit. I continued to finish them.
The finished project could use some tweaks, but they are comfortable. Just more like a skinny pair of pants. I know this is the style, but my measureents are 35x29x37 and 6'2". I don't think I need to look any skinnier.
I will say, there is no vanity sizing with these pants. A 29 waist is a 29 waist. I have made pants where the 29 is more like a 32. This is usually confirmed by reviewers on patternreview.com
A little quirk to this pattern is a faux back pocket. A flap is there, but no pocket. I would have tried a welt pocket, but there is a dart, so I am not sure. Duane from The Japanese Pattern Challenge sent me some wonderful directions for welt pockets I will have to try on my next pair of pants. Thanks Duane!
So, the jury is still out if I will try to remake these and add some material to the backside and the legs, plus a real back pocket, or move on to another pattern. I am not comfortable with tweaking patterns too much.
A few pictures:
|I like the front pockets|
|Comfortable. But a little more room needed!|
|Faux back pocket|
While writing this I ordered a book on pants fitting. So I might tweak these yet.