Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Coat Muslin Mania

 I have been watching a Craftsy Class taught by Kenneth D. King teaching how to take Vogue 8841 and heavily redraft it to make  the "Fly Front Coat".  He teaches how to do a Hong Kong finish, draft and hand sew the lining, and many other details I want to learn.  This coat doesn't have the extent of interfacing a jacket does, so I can focus on other details.

Craftsy Coat

I searched the internet to find a pattern for what I had in mind. No patterns, but I did find a photo of what I want to make.
This is similar to my vision.

I started with the Vogue 8841 supplied with the class.  Mr. King says this is a unisex coat.   Believe me, it is not.

The class teaches how to tweak the pattern to make the style of coat he wanted.  Nothing is said about sizing or fitting.  I attempted to learn how to adjust this pattern to fit on my own.

Muslin one with shoulders "let out"


I narrowed the first muslin two inches by taking in the side seams at the hips and tapering out at the underarm.  I added 1-1/2" to each shoulder.  I opened up the arms 1" in circumference.
Second muslin


For my third muslin I reshaped the armscyces to the largest size on the pattern.

Third muslin


This made the arms fit better, but it still looks awful.

I decided to self-draft a pattern after my disappointment with my adjustments to Vogue 8841.  I took my t-shirt pattern and added ease to make my new jacket muslin.




 It needs some adjustments, but after that I am back to Mr. King's class to add a princess seam,  collar, pockets, and a lining.

The books I am using to help me with all this are Easy guide to sewing jackets and Men's wear tailoring techniques .  These are free to download.

It is a good thing the thrift store had a $3 bolt of fabric suitable for muslins.

Thanks for stopping.

4 comments:

  1. When drafting or altering a jacket/coat pattern, you need to first fit the bodice without sleeves. Make sure you have a nice fit around the shoulders, neck, and of course, around the torso. Once the bodice is fit, then begin working on the sleeves and lapels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has been quite a learning experience. I am sure anything I sew in the future will fit better. Thank you for the advice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admire your persistence. Struggling with a muslin is so frustrating. You seem to be on the right track with your own draft, so I'd ditch that Vogue pattern pronto.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't sew, so my eyes tell me you're making great progress! Keep up the good work and I can't wait to see the finished version. And thank you for posting those links!

    ReplyDelete