Saturday, December 16, 2017

A New Adventure in Sewing

It was strongly suggested by a friend I be more sociable and get out of the house more often.  I decided taking a sewing class would fit the suggestion nicely.  However, since I live in a rural area, a town of 104, classes aren't easy to find.

I did find a place called MIY Studio in a nearby town that teaches quilting.  I went to the studio to find times and classes, but was quickly discouraged when told the earliest new class is in February.

Not wanting to wait, I quickly started scouring the internet for any information on quilting.  There is a mountain of information, but I wanted more of a classroom setting.  So I quickly turned to Craftsy for a beginning quilt class.

I found Learn to quilt: Cozy throw quilt.  I quickly printed out the list of supplies needed and watched Amy Gibson explaining the quilt we would make.


I went to Joann's to purchase the needed fabric for the top of the quilt.  I found jelly rolls on clearance for $5.  Being I need 2 1/2" x 42"  strips of fabric in different colors, which is what a jelly roll is, this worked out perfect.  I did learn these are junior jelly rolls because they have 20 strips of fabric, whereas a jelly roll has 40 strips.  I bought three of them, then discovered for the 60" x 60" quilt in this class, one roll would be enough.

Junior jelly roll

Some of the Junior jelly roll unrolled
2 1/2" strips

I then bought 4 yards of white fabric to cut into 2 1/2" strips.  I did not pre-wash any of the fabric.

Using my Bernina 1001 I sewed the strips together in groups of three.  For a total of 12.
Some of the finished strips sets.

Next time I will turn these strip sets into blocks for my quilt.

I went to Joann's and MIY Studio, so I did get out of the house.

Thanks for stopping.


2 comments:

  1. You might enjoy meeting Bonnie Hunter, she has a mystery going on now that could be fun to learn from too. Also she has a facebook page. http://quiltville.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete